Just a friendly reminder from the ASPCA’s website: grapes and their lovely wrinkled relative, the raisin, are highly toxic to dogs. A recent case of puppy-meets-raisin-bread-loaf lead the Sigalls to call the ASPCA’s poison control hotline. They were directed to take the little pooch to the vet clinic quickly where Winnie, the puppy-victim, was forced to vomit and was given fluids. Winnie was very lucky to have such responsive parents. When caught soon enough, a dog that has eaten grapes or raisins can be helped just like Winnie. It’s always safest, however, to keep toxic foods and chemicals away from your pets reach.
This time of year we need to be extra cautious, particularly with several holidays around the corner. Halloween candy and costumes can be dangerous for our pets, as well. Candy in any amount can make a pet sick; especially chocolate which is toxic to dogs. Don’t forget, a wrapper barrier protects candy until it is time to eat it, but Fido and Fifi don’t have opposable thumbs to undo the tinfoil and cellophane, which might end up in their digestive systems instead. Make sure your costume and your pets’ costumes are pet safe. If you are going to dress your pet for Halloween, make sure the costume is comfortable and enjoyable for your pet. More tips for a Happy Halloween can be found here. If you suspect that your pet has eaten something dangerous, call the ASPCA Poison Control Center at (888) 426-4435 and rush him or her to the vet as soon as possible. —Jill Brodsky