Tails magazine presents...

ASPCA offers July 4th safety tips

In Health and Safety on June 30, 2009 at 3:30 pm

PatrioticLabrodor

Keep Fido safe this 4th of July weekend! The ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center offers the following tips:

*Never leave alcoholic drinks unattended where pets can reach them. Alcoholic beverages have the potential to poison pets. If ingested, the animal could become very intoxicated and weak, severely depressed or could go into a coma. Death from respiratory failure is also a possibility in severe cases.

*Do not apply any sunscreen or insect repellent product to your pet that is not labeled specifically for use on animals. Ingestion of sunscreen products can result in drooling, vomiting, diarrhea, excessive thirst, and lethargy. The misuse of insect repellent that contains DEET can lead to neurological problems.

*Always keep matches and lighter fluid out of your pets’ reach. Certain types of matches contain chlorates, which could potentially damage blood cells and result in difficulty breathing—or even kidney disease in severe cases. Lighter fluid can be irritating to skin, and if ingested can produce gastrointestinal irritation and central nervous system depression. If lighter fluid is inhaled, aspiration pneumonia and breathing problems could develop.

*Keep your pets on their normal diet. Any change, even for one meal, can give your pets severe indigestion and diarrhea. This is particularly true for older animals who have more delicate digestive systems and nutritional requirements. And keep in mind that foods such as onions, chocolate, coffee, avocado, grapes and raisins, salt, and yeast dough can all be potentially toxic to companion animals.

*Keep citronella candles, insect coils and oil products out of reach. Ingestions can produce stomach irritation and possibly even central nervous system depression. If inhaled, the oils could cause aspiration pneumonia in pets.

*Never use fireworks around pets! While exposure to lit fireworks can potentially result in severe burns and/or trauma to the face and paws of curious pets, even unused fireworks can pose a danger. Many types contain potentially toxic substances, including potassium nitrate, arsenic, and other heavy metals.

*Resist the urge to take your pets to fireworks displays! Such events are loud, crowded…and often frightening to Fido so keep your little guys safe from the noise in a quiet, sheltered, and escape-proof area at home. If your pets are particularly sensitive to loud noises like thunder or fireworks, close your windows, run air conditioners and/or fans for “white noise,” and/or turn on the TV or radio.

For more information, visit ASPCA.org.

About these ads
  1. I was just going to mention that we shouldn’t forget about keeping our furry kids cool during hot weather surrounding the 4th. my dogs LOVE their new kool collars we got this year. They are great for keeping them cool and most importantly SAFE during this hot weather. Also helpful during travel if you insert a “kool tube” in the collar so water doesn’t drip in the car, rv, etc. This is my favorite new thing for my furry babies. They are shoih tzus, and with the short snouts are more susceptible to heatstroke.find these at http://www.fillmewithice.com. Highly recommended!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

%d bloggers like this: